Tell us more about your business and what products you offer?
We are Laura and Massimiliano, we fell in love with this old abandoned house facing the sea. We reformed it using lime and recycled wood to fulfill our dream: to live here and welcome our guests in an oasis of tranquility in the middle of nature. We chose to be an “adults only” Boutique Hotel to dedicate ourselves to those people who prefer a quiet space, where they can be in tune with the sounds and sensations of our spectacular surroundings.
Alma Calma Hotel Rural is a cozy space with four rooms: Each one has a private bathroom, WIFI, independent entrance, King Size bed, air conditioning, hair dryer, safe, minibar, towels, beach towels, ecological solid soaps, 300-thread-count cotton sheets and a selection of pillows to guarantee our guests an ideal rest.
Why did you choose to be a part of Clean Business?
We believe in ecology and recycling and we are committed to the environment. We love collaborating with those who share these values.
We are the only Rural Hotel in Fuerteventura certified with 4 stars by @ecostars, the only one on the island in @rusticae, and also the only one to receive the #GrINNAwards2022 award for the best Rural Hotel in Europe.
Our commitment, our ecological philosophy, and our values of respect for the environment show that quality and sustainable tourism is possible. We bet on the greatest respect for the rural environment of our fortunate Islands, without giving up excellence.
What are you doing to reduce your plastic footprint and be more sustainable?
- All the rooms have been made by us with eco-sustainable natural materials such as lime and recycled wood, which highlight the elegance of the volcanic stones of the old structure of the canarian house.
- Every drop of water consumed is recycled and used to irrigate ornamental plants. Every drop of rainwater is stored in old cisterns and is used to irrigate fruit plants.
- We eliminate plastic packaging and offer natural solid soaps based on aloe from local organic production.
- We minimize light pollution to be able to enjoy the show offered by the Milky Way every night.
- We prepare our appetizers waiting for the sunset, homemade breakfasts and dinners are carefully prepared with products from local agriculture and seasonal fruit from our ecological garden.
What are you future goals regarding sustainability?
Why do you find sustainable practices to be important for a business?
Respect for the environment is one of our fundamental values. We believe that polluting is a mortal sin: that is why we use ecological material and continue to study and learn techniques to make it comfortable and attractive.
We believe in recycling: that’s why we try to fix what is useless and broken and recycle what others throw away.
We believe in the recovery of forgotten territories: that is why we have opted for the restoration of an old house in the middle of rural nature.
Is there anything else you want to tell us?
Pets are also welcome, they will surely get along perfectly with our cat Chico and our dog Tiki, true owners of Alma Calma, who live freely in the Hotel spaces.
We use crockery produced by hand by small ceramic workshops (ceramici in El Cotillo and Cactoo). We buy the vegetables from the Fimapaire Agriculture organic farm, the cheese from the Queseria Montelongo de Tindaya, and the Vigan craft beer produced in Fuerteventura.
Support us so we can help more business become a certified Clean Business
Clean Business is a project created by Clean Ocean Project — an NGO fighting plastic pollution and protecting our seas, which was founded in 2002 on the island of Fuerteventura. As a NGO we fully depend on people like you supporting us. Help us in the fight against plastic pollution and make a donation today. Thank you!